Sunday, September 23, 2012

God Bless the Internet

Creating a universally designed lesson can seem like a daunting task without the right tools. Obviously, the first step is knowing what UDL principles you need to target based on your students' strengths and weaknesses. Teachers may find it useful to make a list of their students strength and weaknesses paired with corresponding UDL principles. In effect, they would be making a UDL checklist personalized for their classroom. The second step is having the tools available to create the ideal lesson. Unbeknownst to many teachers, there is an enormous amount of free (or relatively cheap) resources online to UDLize (yes I just made my own word) any lesson. 

I came across this website that not only explains the principles of UDL but provides examples and resources for implementing each. 




Some of my favorite UDL resources include:
















The most useful technique I've found in incorporating UDL into my own lessons is to put myself in the shoes of my students and ask myself whether I would be engaged in the lesson, how I would prefer to to have the material represented, and what would be the most engaging way for me to respond and express my knowledge. From there I have a good starting point to which I add the needs of other learners. 


No comments:

Post a Comment